Interested in becoming a member?
The Saskatchewan job situation has avoided the downturn. The Construction Industry in Saskatchewan is busy and the demand for the trades that Local 179 represents in high. Union members in our trades are very well paid, have above average Health & Welfare Plan and an excellent Pension Plan.
If you are a tradesperson...
- Please submit an application along with copies of your tickets (journeyman, weld tickets and/or safety tickets).
- Once we have your application you will be placed on an available for work list.
- Once you have dispatched to a job you will be on a probation period.
- After your probation period is up, you will be eligible to apply for membership.
- When you apply, you will be required to submit two letters of reference from two U.A. Members of Local 179. You will also need to submit a letter of reference from management of the company to whom you have been dispatched.
- Your application, along with the letters of reference, trade tickets, resume and x-ray results for welders, will then be reviewed by the Qualifications Committee.
- Once the application is approved, you will be contacted with the time and date of initiation into United Association Local 179.
Click here for Application
If you want to become one...There's a bright career in the pipe trades for you.
Apprenticeship Programs Offered
All work connected with the installation, alteration and repair of piping systems, including maintenance, for steam power plants, steam distribution, hot water heating and cooling, industrial process, hydraulic, pneumatic and temperature control, industrial fire protection and compressed air and vacuum systems – including the installation, servicing and fabrication of the integral controls, accessories and components of such piping systems. Install, troubleshoot, and service Domestic and Commercial Gas and Propane Systems and equipment.
All installation and repair of piping for water supply, drainage water and venting, waste treatment including private treatment, compressed air and vacuum, rainwater leaders and storm sewers, oxygen, anesthetic and related medical gas systems – including the installation, servicing and fabrication of the integral controls, accessories and components of such piping systems. Install, troubleshoot, and service Domestic and Commercial Gas and Propane systems and equipment.
Sprinkler System Installer
Assembly, installation, testing and maintenance of piping systems for supply water, foam, carbon dioxide and outside services for fire protection and fire Suppression systems, including the installation and servicing of controls and accessories and the fabrication of component piping units for such systems.
Industrial Instrument Mechanic
Repair, maintenance, calibration and service or systems as process control, heating, cooling and ventilation (domestic and commercial) including installation and servicing of integral controls and accessories of such process piping systems and fabrication of component piping units used in measuring and control heating, cooling, refrigeration and process systems.
Refrigeration and air conditioning mechanics install, maintain, repair and overhaul industrial, commercial and residential refrigeration and air conditioning systems and their component parts. They assemble and install refrigeration or air conditioning components such as compressors, condensers, evaporators and metering devices, install and calibrate related controls (including wiring), and start up systems, test lines to detect leaks, and record the readings taken to ensure the system is functioning satisfactorily.
Work in cutting, heating, fabricating and joining of ferrous and non-ferrous piping systems by either of the following methods: oxyacetylene, electric arc, Tungsten Inert Gas (TIG) or Microwire Inert Gas (MIG). Welders are involved in all areas of the piping industry, including process piping gathering systems, natural gas, crude oil, product pipelines, and piping support systems and attachments.
To contact the Training Board or more information email email@example.com
PROCARE EMPLOYEE & FAMILY ASSISTANCE PLAN
Counselling and work life support services 24 Hours a Day
EAP EMPLOYEE ASSISTANCE PROGRAM
Confidential Counselling for Members and Family